JellyPages.com

Thursday 13 October 2016

American Horror Story - Season 6 ep. 1-3 **Possible Spoilers**

Hey Guys and Gals,

I'm baaaack!

Did you miss me? Or did you not even notice I was gone? Either way, I'm writing a new blogulicious *grin*

I was in high anticipation for the new season of American Horror Story (AHS) and to be honest, I feel a little disappointed.



I've held off writing this blog, because with Stranger Things I didn't really have a lot to write about by the first episode and I didn't want to give everything away in one hit!

So, I shall set the scene a little for episode one (I'll try to leave out as much immaculate detail as possible).

The two main characters are called Shelby and (hits Google as the guy's name is forgettable) Matt and they are an interracial couple, Shelby is white and Matt is black.

They were living in L.A. when Matt was set upon by some miscreants who basically beat the sh*t out of him and left him in a coma. Not good at all. To top it off, the couple had learned that morning that they were going to be parents, only to have this joy snatched away when Shelby miscarries, possibly from the stress of what had happened.

So they move out to the woods, to an absolutely glorious house - and that is kind of where things take a nasty turn.

As the couple have moved to North Carolina, and it seems to them that the racist history of the Deep South is still apparent, and that they are being tormented by the 'Hillbillies' that they outbit for their new creepy-ass abode.

Obviously that isn't how AHS works.

Another way that AHS doesn't normally work is how the story is being told to us - we are watching a fictional docu series called 'My Roanoke Nightmare' which has the same characters being protrayed by different actors (as it would be in real life)

Lily Rabe here, Sarah Paulson there.

I personally wasn't too impressed with this layout (hence my disappointment) however as the episodes have moved on, this has been a great way to tell the story, and of course - involve all of our AHS favourites.

At the time of writing I am yet to clap eyes on the gorgeous man-beast that is Evan Peters.

Mr Scary Movie Sunday who?

We are introduced to Shelby's sister in law (Matt's sister, obviously) and she has got a very troubled past, she's an addict and an ex cop who lost her job and marriage due to addiction amongst other things.

She is a very interesting character in my opinion and a lot of episodes 1-3 is to do with her relationship with her daughter, Flora. Which, may I add, is a beautiful name.

I won't go into detail with this story line, but it is tantalising and you can't stop wondering what has happened to this little girl - but sometimes I feel that the actual story telling regarding this is a little bit juddery. Whether that is due to the format of the series or not, I'm not sure.

Ok, so episodes 2 and 3.

We learn from flashbacks that there is a band of nasty and cutthroat spirits that reside in the surrounding areas of the house where the couple live - the leader of these being known as 'The Butcher'. It's catchy. We get to see the back story of this 'missing' group of people (which has stemmed from an American story about a colony that disappeared in Roanoke) and this also teaches the non-American viewrs who may not know this history so that we are all up to speed.

10 points to House AHS!

There is one SERIOUSLY bad point about these 'settlers' - and in main, the character The Butcher.

WHAT IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS
HOLY IS THAT ACCENT SUPPOSED TO BE?

I've discussed this frequesntly with Mr Scary Movie Sunday and we have come to the conclusion that the accent is meant to be a Lancashire accent. I think the point may have been missed and is in the far distance behind the cast. It bugs me so much because this character is awesome and so badass with her cleaver. 

Maybe I could just mute the parts that Kathy Bates has dialogue in.

We also have visions of murderous sisters that appear in the house, a psychic who has got THE best accent ever and is camper than a row of tents (100% my favourite character) and a guy who is camping out in a cellar by the woods. 

There is one more character that I would like to mention.


Took me until episode 3 to realise this is Lady Gaga.


Now I probably will write another blog after the season has ended - and we can talk about the fabled 'connection' theory - but I would like to say that the quality of the story and the familiarity with the new layout of the series is starting to get really promising, and I also am very excited to see the next episode (which has Evan Peters in it!)

Are you watching this season? And what do you think about it all?

And remember,
Have a Scary Movie Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment