JellyPages.com

Monday 31 October 2016

Competition Winner!

Hey Guys and Gals

Just to let you know I had a great calibre of stories to rifle through and read after my competition launched, and I had to get Mr Scary Movie Sunday involved to help me choose between two very strong stories!

Please read below the story that won, and congratulations to Dice Rollen who wins the Amazon Gift Voucher!

_________________________________________________

Name: Dice Rollen

Story Title: The Attic

Story:

I had been sick for three days with a cold. The worst part about the colds that I got were the sore throats. I could deal with a stuffy or runny nose, even a cough. But I hated having to deal with a sore throat. This one had gotten to the point where I almost could not use my voice at all & had to resort to writing what I wanted to say on a whiteboard if it was not something I could just nod my head to answer.

I had been laying in bed for most of the morning when my mom came in to say goodbye.
“Hey, sweetheart. We’re going to go to work now, okay? We’ll be gone for most of the day. So take it easy & call us if anything comes up. Okay?”
I just nodded my head to respond since that’s all I really could do.
“Alright, see you later.”
She walked over to my bed & kiss my forehead before she left.
When my parents went to work I was the only one in the house. My brother usually went with them to help out with some heavy lifting & whatever else they needed. It was good. For them & for me because I got the peace & quiet I needed to rest. I heard the truck pull out of the driveway & drive off before I closed my eyes to settle back into bed.

I was drifting when I heard it.
A scratching sound.
I opened my eyes & took a look around my room. It was not my cat because my door was open, plus he was not even close by. When I heard the noise again I realized where it was coming from. I thought it must have been the wind blowing in through the vent that made those weird sounds. That happened sometimes so I did not think much of it. I laid back down & relaxed. I don’t know when exactly I fell asleep, but I must have been asleep for a few hours.
It was getting late & it was still quiet around the house so no one was home yet. My parents would work late sometimes so that was pretty normal. It just meant that I would have to make dinner for myself. So I got out of bed & ignored the dull ache in my head. I went to the kitchen & grabbed a can of chicken noodle soup.

Then I heard the scratching again. Now I knew that was not the wind. It was louder & different from the noises I knew the wind could make. Maybe something had gotten into the attic & was trying to get out. I did not heard it again for a while so I went back to heating up my soup. I’d have to tell my parents when they got home so my dad could investigate it. I barely finished the thought before I heard another scratch. Maybe it could not wait. I went to only opening to the attic in the pantry & looked at the door. Maybe it was a squirrel or a raccoon or something. Whatever it was it definitely sounded like it wanted in. I’d never been up in the attic by myself before. But I needed to find out what the hell what making this noise.

I grabbed a flashlight from the shelf nearby & climbed up to the door. I pushed it open & pulled myself up into the attic. There was only one light bulb hanging from the ceiling so I turned it on. It only helped a little & I could not see the parts of the attic that were farther away. I looked around at the area was illuminated. So far nothing. I might have scared it off. I actually hoped I had, but just in case I decided to check the whole attic. I turned on the flashlight & started walked around. I had to be careful where I stepped because the attic was not completely finished. And we mainly used it for storing old things we hardly used anymore. After a while of searching I had not found anything. No scratch marks. No holes where something could have come in. No mess. Nothing.
I started to head back to the door when I noticed some movement out of the corner of my eye. I turned my head & the flashlight to get a better look at what it was. I completely froze once I got a good look.

A hand. It was a hand. And it was touching one of the ducts.
But more importantly it was attached to someone. Someone alive. I could not move any close but I did manage to move my flashlight to see who it was. I could not believe what I saw.
In the corner of the attic were my parents & my brother. They looked sick & practically lifeless. Like animals that had been kept in a cage without being fed. Of all the jumbled thoughts that were running through my mind at that moment, one stood out like a blaring sign.

If my family had been in the attic for so long…
Then who the hell was pulling into the driveway now?

No comments:

Post a Comment