JellyPages.com

Monday 1 August 2016

The Visit - A Tale of Two Weirdos - SPOILER ALERT

Hey Guys and gals!

This past week has been unbearable in the UK (I mean, people who like the heat probably loved it, but me personally would prefer a thunderstorm) and I have been watching quite a few movies - not just horror you'll be devastated to hear!


Always listen to Grandma
One of the films that I watched is one that I have wanted to see since I saw it advertised on TV.
It is simply called 'The Visit' and all I knew was that it was about some kids going to see their grandparents and then ultra freaky shiz started to happen.

This was enough for me to get gripped! So when I saw this on Netflix less that a year after it had been on at the cinema, I thought maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, they only early release stuff if it's pants. But I stuck with my gut feeling and made sure I watched this business on Sunday morning, in the day. With Mr Scary Movie Sunday.

To be honest, I absolutely LOVED this movie, I would give it a 7.5/10 and I would definitely give it another watch, very much like M Night Shalamalamadingdong's past work, you usually miss things the first time and the more you watch it, the more interesting it gets. Another one of his films that I can watch millionz of times is The Village.

This movie is probably going to be really underrated on the scary factor because there are not so many gore scares, but more unnerving scenes that start from the get go. Here are  5 freaky moments of this movie. And can I point out there are many, MANY more!

***SPOILERS***

1. The Use of Handheld Cameras


I must admit that I am sometimes sceptical with found footage / docuhorror <<< (made a new word yay) types of movies because without being done right they can miss a lot of tension. But this movie was done SO well. and the fact that this was an integral part of how the story was told - The oldest child Rebecca is making a documentary about her time with her grandparents - you are forced to pay attention to what is going on, and I loved it!

The unusual happenings start as soon as the two children are picked up by their grandparents at the trainstation, they are distant and when there are pictures taken of the family reunion you can see how awkward it is.

Because it is filmed on a hand held camera when the children are being chased, or the grandparents are doing something mega weird, it makes the scenarios far more believable.

2. The Oven Scene

This scene is the reason that I wanted to watch the movie in the first place - because there was just something unnerving about a grown woman asking a child to get into the oven. Rather Hansel and Gretel if you ask me.

Here is the scene...


Would you get in the oven? I sure as hell wouldn't! Then again, my gelatinous ass wouldn't fit so I would be saved!

This happens earlier on in the movie, when the girl is on her own with Nana, and she is very reluctant (I mean, who wouldn't be?) and in the end she fully climbs into the oven. I thought I was going to relive the furnace scene in Saw II but with a small girl being cooked like a Christmas turkey.

3. Under the House Hide and Seek

Quite early on in the film things happent that are strange as I have previously mentioned. But the first scene that got me  ready to hide behind my hands was the game of hide and seek under the grandparent's house.
Just thinking back to this scene gives me the creeps. I mean, if that were me, my own anxiety would stop me from going to run through that maze of pillars, but then when you see the 'creature' scurrying about in the distance, the goosepimples on my arms were almost painfully popping out.

Eww.

Ewwwwww.

Watch the video, and you will see how unsettling this scene was.

P.S. Ew.

4. Sundowning

Now, sundowning is a genuine thing, mainly people who have dementia suffer from confusion and discombobulation when the sun sets (hence the name).

Nana goes a bit crazy after 9:30pm and apparently the kids are not allowed to leave their room after this time. But, kids being kids go to investigate what the weird scratching sounds and thumping sounds are...

They find out that Nana runs around naked flailing and scratching the walls, she makes strange guttural sounds and frankly, it's scary. If real sundowning (I've never seen documented footage so I can't comment) looks that way, you can easily see how unsettling it could be.

We find out that Nana hasn't got a case of dementia, but actually something far more sinister...

5. The Acquisition of the Elixir

This scene is in no way gory, scary or jumpy - it's just... disconcerting.

The reason that Becca wants to document her trip to her grandparent's house is to try and get the thing that will 'fix' her depressed mother. Something happened when she was younger and left home which meant she felt that she couldn't go back - and their mother would never tell the kids what this occurence was - but said that if Nana and Pop Pop  want to divulge then they can get their information that way.

The scene stars with Becca hearing her Nana wholeheartedly laughing, as if she was watching the funniest show on TV ever. Like, pee-your-pants funny.

So, being the inquisitive child that she is, she goes to see what the commotion is about to find... this.


Walls are HILARIOUS you know.
So, in one of the most genius moves in horror, Becca goes towards her guffawing Nana, who says that she laughs so much to keep the evil spirits at bay.
Seems legit.
Nana then goes on a bit of a ramble to tell a story about aliens that take people into water and steal them to send back to their planet. Bizarre.
Becca is a pure trouper and goes for the jugular again and tries to get information about what the frick happened between her grandparents and her mom (who by the way is living it up on  holiday but keeps in touch via the medium of Skype) and Nana goes batsh*t crazy. Cue changing this line of questioning into a story (not as creepy as the alien people, but a story nonetheless) and Nana eventually provides the Elixir for which Becca was hoping for.
The whole scene is particularly jarring and really throws you off kilter when watching the movie - and I loved it!
So there you have it, 5 things I thought were groovy about The Visit.
But, being M Night Shyamalan, means that there is always a SERIOUS plot twist. This one made me feel raaaaaaaather sick. So if you DON'T want to know the twist, LOOK AWAY NOW!
and remember,
Have a Scary Movie Sunday!






























'Those aren't your grandparents...'

No comments:

Post a Comment