JellyPages.com

Tuesday 16 August 2016

Tim Burton you say? P.S. Spoilers Everywhere.

Hey Creepy Crew!

I am seriously slacking in the watching of the horror movies - this is mainly due to the Olympics and Pokemon Go. 
I know, it's pitiful.
Anyway, I'm still keeping up with the blogs and trying to give you some more content whilst I'm on this small hiatus.
SO...
If you are a close friend of mine, you will know how much I luuuuuuuurve movies directed by Tim Burton (Not Coraline, that was someone else; but a good movie nonetheless). So here are some of my favourites (not all, as you would be here until next week).

 
Just look at that sexy weirdo.
This fixation may have started when I was a child, as one of my favourite films of ALL time was Beetlejuice.
Like, I knew (and probably still know if I thought about it) every word from this film and this was when I was about... 8?
Don't judge my parents, it really didn't scare me and I've always been fixated with the macabre.
Not even gonna lie, this biznatch right here scared me and gave me more nightmares than anything else, EVER. 
So, I digress. 
As I have already mentioned it, lets start with Beetlejuice and why I love it so much.
1. Beetlejuice
Let's start with The Handbook For The Recently Deceased (buy your own version here); I thought this was a wonderful little touch, and I love when Adam mentioned how it reads 'like stereo instructions'. Still didn't mean the Maitlands read it though!
When Lydia Deetz gets hold of this book, she absorbs it like no other and she is so dark that it just screams out to her. She is after all... Strange and Unusual. I love Lydia and I remember growing up wanting to be just like her. #LifeGoals
Of course, I can't forget the man himself - good ol' Betel Geuse. Michael Keaton is an awesome actor who was perfect for the role of this absolutely crazy and hellbent villain. My favourite scene is when Barbara picks him up from the model to tell him off after crashing his car and he creates his spikes - to then dance across to go and play with the ladies of the night.
Go ahead. Make my millenium.


2. Edward Scissorhands
Now this movie is just gorgeous. I love the music, I love the themes, and most of all, I love Johnny Depp as Edward.
This story is just so wonderfully unique, and Mr Burton has made it appropriate for all people from all walks of life - its a story about acceptance, but also about how awful can be to something that they don't understand - and that people are not always what they seem.
If you have not seen this film, I suggest you watch it at the earliest opportunity, its not scary, just a little eerie - and so emotional at the same time.
Every time I hear the music for the Ice Dance scene my heart just swells.

 

This movie was also Vincent Price's last
I've been reading about this movie and I found this excerpt from IMDB:
'The restaurant that the family eats at was, at one time, a real restaurant; a national chain diner called "Sambo's". It was located directly across the street from Southgate Shopping Center, as appears in the movie. Due to the controversial nature of the name and interior design, the diner (and entire chain) closed sometime in the late 70s/early 80s except for the original location in Santa Barbara, California, which to this day remains open in its original location.'
Mr Scary Movie Sunday and I stopped at the restaurant in Santa Barbara on our honeymoon, so this was a really cool fact to find out!
Every time I see this scene it makes me laugh.

3. The Nightmare Before Christmas

I think the majority of people have heard of The Nightmare Before Christmas - and there is a bleddy good reason for that!

This movie was (rightly so) advertised as a kids movie but even though it was to appeal to the younger generation (I was 6 when it came out) it also captured the hearts of all types of people.

I remember when this film came out and I just HAD to watch it. I wanted to go to the cinema to watch it but I think due to it being released later in the year my family was busy with Christmas planning etc.

So I went for the next best thing and asked for Father Christmas to bring it to me on the big day. St Nick (A.k.a my nan) provided and as soon as the wrapping had all been packed away and my mom started cooking the lunch I was glued to the TV waiting expectantly on this mystical movie that I was so intrigued about.

Man it did not disappoint.

From the excellent stop motion animation, and the wonderful musical score (with the vocals of none other than Danny Elfman himself) this was to become my FAVOURITE film of my childhood. I would watch this movie every. Single. Day. I loved all of the characters (even the creepy ones) and I couldn't wait to go back to Hallowe'en Town. When the VHS broke due to overuse, I was devastated and at the ripe old age of 19, my then boyfriend replaced it with a DVD.

If you want something a little creepy but not overly scary - this is a great movie to watch!


Tah dah!

4. Charlie and The Chocolate Factory

This is more of a modern movie in the list, and although it is COMPLETELY different from the original (with Gene Wilder) it is a stupendous movie in its own right.

The whole design of this gaudy and dark comedy masterpiece just draws you in like a moth to a flame - and it almost gives you a sense of security... right up until THIS scene.


I didn't even get to see the complete ending of this scene the first time round because I was laughing so much.

You don't need to tell me I'm going to Hell, I am fully aware of it.

Johnny Depp was a great choice as the infamous Willy Wonka and there is always a sense of foreboding which through all of the garish colours and wonderful musical score, still manages to trickle through.

There are also so many small jokes throughout this movie which I really loved; for example the hair cream scene (I won't go into it so you can laugh at it when you realise where I mean).

Can I just give kudos to Deep Roy - who acted out EVERY. SINGLE. OOMPA LOOMPA.

You may think it is a camera trick (which in a way it is due to layering) but those trillions of Oompa Loompas that you see were all individually acted out - can you imagine having to get those timings perfect every single time?

It's details like that which make Tim Burton movies that little bit extra special.


5. And last but not least -  Batman

This film is the shiznit.

From the looming score to the wonderfully disturbing makeup effects this film is well and truly a firm Tim Burton favourite of mine.

No matter how many times Batman is reimagined, Michael Keaton will always be da man for me.

Burton created his very own version of Gotham that was so powerfully dark and scary, that the need to have the caped crusader swoop in was so apt. There is just so much that I love about this film that I can't even get myself together easily to tell you all about it.

I think my favourite scene is this one... it's so painfully 80's




As you may or may not be aware, Tim Burton has made so many movies, and all of them are so quirky in their own way - another notable few to mention that I love are: Frankenweenie, Mars Attacks!, James and The Giant Peach, Sleepy Hollow <3 , and Alice in Wonderland.

Man I love this guy.

I think the world does too, in Germany there is a Tim Burton exhibit, and in New York there is a restaurant which is based on Tim Burton Movies!

I went to a concert a couple of years ago which was all of Danny Elfman's music from the movies of Tim Burton. If you ever get the chance to go, MAKE THE EFFORT TO GO IT WILL 100% BE WORTH IT!

Anyway,

Rememeber,
have a Scary Movie Sunday!



No comments:

Post a Comment